1 1/2 oz (40 g) butter
1/2 oz (15 g) Parmesan cheese
1 oz (25 g) plain flour
5 fl oz (150 ml) milk
5 eggs, separated
4 oz (125 g) Donegal brand crab meat, fresh or frozen
2 oz (50 g) Mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Use 1/2 oz (15 g) butter to grease a 2 pint (1.2 litres) soufflé dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese into the dish and swirl around, knock out any excess into the next dish, and so on.
2. Melt remaining butter in a pan, add flour and cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat, add milk and beat vigorously, until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Cool slightly.
4. Beat in egg yolks; add crab meat, Mature Cheddar cheese and seasoning.
5. Whisk egg whites until stiff, stir a quarter of the whites into the crab mixture, and then fold in the remainder with a metal spoon. It’s important not to add it all at the one time.
6. Pour into a soufflé dish, clean the top of the dish with a paper towel. If the dish is not clean to the top it can stop the soufflé from rising.
7. Cook in a hot oven Mark 6 (200°C) 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown.